A small regional design agency is leading a statewide push to recognise the creative talents of regional Victorians.
Tired of the misconception that “good” creative design can only be found in the city, Warrnambool-based design and communications agency o2 Media officially opened the
o2 Media Director Karen Foster said regional graphic designers, illustrators and photographers often found it difficult to compete against their metropolitan counterparts.
“We often hear of regionally-based businesses who by-pass local, home-grown talent in favour of expensive city designers in the belief they’ll somehow get a better outcome,” Ms Foster said.
“The reality is, we reckon we have some of the best talent right here in regional Victoria!”
Ms Foster said the awards would also provide important opportunity for designers to connect, network and create new collaborative opportunities.
“We think the time has come to put aside our competitive differences and to band together to not only celebrate our collective talent, but to provide a much needed boost to our regions.”
Ms Foster said the o2 Media Regional Design Awards were open to any professional Graphic Designer or tertiary student of Graphic Design living and working/studying in regional Victoria.
Competition categories include:
1. Identity (logo and collateral) sponsored by AGIdeas;
2. Print Media (report/prospectus, magazine/newspaper, catalogue, book/booklet, poster, brochure/flyer, direct mail) sponsored by Kingprint;
3. Digital Media (website, app, online publication, social media campaign) sponsored by Telstra Countrywide;
4. Signage (directional/wayfinding, event/exhibition);
5. Image Creation (photography, illustration) sponsored by Regional Development Australia;
6. Emerging Talent (tertiary students responding to a prescribed brief) sponsored by Deakin University.
Ms Foster said category winners would be presented at a gala cocktail evening in Warrnambool in September, with winning entries exhibited on the night and afterwards online.
Details are available at www.regionaldesignawards.com.au or via the Regional Design Awards’ Facebook page.
Media information: Karen Foster, phone 0407 312 836